Things You Should Know About Swimming Pool Construction
Common Types of Swimming Pools and Their Methods of Construction
When it comes to the construction of any backyard swimming pool, the most important decision for any homeowner may actually be whether or not to proceed with the project. The ultimate course of action will likely be influenced by budget considerations, including short-term installation costs and long-term maintenance costs, as well as the projected amount of pool usage, anticipated time of residency in that location, and the pressures exhibited by other members of the family.
If they elect to move ahead with their investment in a new swimming pool, homeowners will need to consider such matters as:
- Pool size, shape, and depth
- Decking, fences, and landscaping
- Required equipment and accessories
However, while it may actually be exciting to contemplate the various options available for all of the above, there are Two more rather significant decisions that can have serious repercussions if they are made in haste and/or without extensive deliberation; these are:
- Type of construction – vinyl, concrete, or fiberglass
- The selection of a qualified swimming pool contractor
Looking first at types of swimming pool construction, there are some need-to-know facts that homeowners may want to compare/contrast as part of the decision-making process:
- Vinyl Pools
- Installation is less-labour intensive, hence the least expensive option
- Liner is a single, pre-cut piece – customized to almost any shape/depth
- Will need solid panels on the sides – often padded before liner is installed
- Bottom of the pool is usually a base of compacted sand or poured concrete
- Fiberglass Pools
- Have the fastest installation time of all swimming pool construction
- Also have a higher initial cost than the vinyl types of swimming pools
- Are pre-formed, pre-finished, single shells inserted into an excavated area
- Pool shell rests on a firm base material on the bottom of the excavated area
- Can be more restrictive in relation to the shape, depth, and width of the pool
- Concrete Pools
- Offer the widest range of options in terms of pool size, shape, and depth
- Fully constructed on-site using a combination of concrete, steel, and plaster
- Have longest installation times of all swimming pool construction (>2 months)
- Solid panels are fabricated along the sides of the excavation site, a steel rebar frame is installed into the outline of the pool, then the pool interior is formed via poured or sprayed concrete
While the choice of swimming pool construction will ultimately rest with the homeowner, it will be important to understand that ‘turning back’ is basically not an option. Once the decision is made on the type of pool construction and the project has begun, it would be relatively burdensome, not to mention tremendously expensive, to change one’s mind; therefore, homeowners should invest a significant amount of time and effort on research and planning before they invest any money in such a venture.
Expert Pool Contractors Offer a Full Range of Construction Options and Services
As noted above, one of the most important decisions before installing a swimming pool is the choice of contractor for the project. Swimming pools represent a significant financial investment in any property, thus the installation needs to be completed in a professional and expert manner. If not, the consequences of choosing unqualified, inexperienced, or cut-rate service providers can be enormous and long-lasting.
A reliable swimming pool contractor needs to be knowledgeable and skilled in all aspects of the construction process, including:
- Property assessments
- Pool design/orientation
- Excavation and grading
- Construction (all types)
- Installation of all services
- Permit needs and applications
- Special features and accessories
- Post-construction service/maintenance
Aveco Pools offers more than 35 years of experience in the swimming pool construction and services industry. The trained professionals from Aveco Pools have the proficiencies and expertise that homeowners need and want to ensure that any new pool construction is satisfactorily completed to approved/agreed-upon specifications and timelines.
Thinking about the construction of a new swimming pool in your backyard next summer? Now is the time to begin the design and planning processes so that your new pool will be ready for the next swimming season. Call the swimming pool construction professionals from Aveco Pools today at 647-560-1330 or contact us to get discussions underway.